Monday, April 8, 2013

The Skype Interview

This week I have two, yes that's right, two Skype interviews.

 
I honestly never thought I would get to this point where people would actually be interested enough in me to go out of their way to make arrangements to have an interview even when I'm not in the area! Both companies I'm interviewing are very exciting and have lots of potential growth for me! I'd be honored to get either job.

When I was asked by the first company to do a Skype interview I got incredibly nervous. It's been so long since I've Skyped anyone and I've never done it professionally before! So after some research and advice from friends I've compiled a list of tips for anyone in my position!

  1. Practice, Practice, Practice!
    How long has it been since you've used Skype? Weeks, months, years? It probably means you need to update your software. Test your Skype and settings out before the interview. Make sure all of your software is updated and try to Skype with a friend or family member to make sure your microphone and camera are all working correctly. 
  2. Check what's behind you.
    When testing your Skype with your friend or family member make sure you take a look at what's behind you. The less clutter the better. Try to have a simple background, either just a wall or if you have to have the entire room behind you make sure there is as little clutter as possible. You want the attention to be on you, not your messy bedroom.
  3. Dress to impress!
    My roommate told me a horror story of a guy who did a Skype interview wearing a shirt and tie on top and just his boxers on the bottom. The interview went really well until at the end the interviewer asked him to stand up, revealing he was in just his boxers! I'm not sure what the outcome of the story was but needless to say dress yourself from head to toe! Not only will you look put together but you'll feel more professional!
  4. Prepare as you would for any other type of interview!
    Just because this is a Skype interview doesn't mean it isn't a real interview! Sometimes companies can't afford to fly everyone they want to interview to their office so the next best tool is Skype! Treat it like you would an in-person interview. Don't try to hide notes on your lap or on your desk, you wouldn't be able to do that for an in-person interview.
These are just a few of my tips I've found most useful in preparation for the Skype interview, do you have any tips of your own? Comment below!

xxLiz

2 comments:

  1. haha the guy wearing his boxers story cracks me up every time! You're going to do fabulous today roomie! Remember some glossa and glowy foundation! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! Thank god I can wear a dress! And thank you roomie!! glowy foundation is on and ready to partayyyy! (and by partay I mean nail this interview!)

      Delete